Wednesday 18 April 2012

Worst Birthday Ever? Worth Birthday Ever.

Didn't start out too great. Let's see. Sunday 15th April 2012. Birthday dinner was planned for that night. About an hour before we were meant to leave, my last month's phone bill falls into the hands of dad. Get yelled at for over an hour. Get my phone data disabled. Any sort of positive energy that was even there to begin with just died. completely. Dinner was meh. Level of awkwardness was high high high. 'Nuff said.


Tuesday 17th April 2012. School. Ugh. Je n'ai pas pu faire la grasse matinee. Mum walks in and criticizes what I'm wearing. As usual. No birthday wishes? fine. 15 minutes later. does the same thing but says happy b'day. I assume she forgot. Unfortunately, she wasn't the only one who I wasn't expecting to forget, who forgot. First person to wish me happy b'day was Em.  The last person to remember was well, someone I was hoping would be the first to let me know they remembered. But hey, that's alright. Not like i felt completely neglected or anything. *major sarcasm*
My favourite part, which was probably the only good part of the day, was dinner. Mum made one of my favourite foods and she learnt a new recipe for it. It was pretty awesome.


Now for the next part of this entry. 


WHY BIRTHDAYS SUCK.
Well firstly, it sucks when people don't remember. But honestly, I don't really give. UNLESS that person means something to me. OR I mean something to them. OR I thought I meant something to them.
Secondly, gift giving. Don't get me wrong. I love seeing people open up gifts I've actually spent heaps of time on; HOWEVER, there's always this little gift giving game..or competition. When someone has given you a really awesome present and even done little things for you (non-material shit), you kinda feel obliged to do the same for them. Not because you're a bitch and wouldn't have anyway, but it's kinda nice to know that you both would go that extra bit for each other. So this is the sucky part. When you've gone out of your way to make someone's birthday that extra bit more special and your "friend" doesn't do shit for you.
Thirdly, it's that extra special something something. So similar to my first two points, but just...doing something for someone you care about. Obviously, if you're barely friends then fuck this part but IF YOU'RE NOT? Well. It'd be pretty obvious afterwards. 


So I'm not trying to say we should all be attention seeking bitches looking for stuff to collect on their birthday. I am also not saying that everyone should have to go all out for their friends. Just think about it...you shouldn't even have to, but do it anyway...if it was your friend's birthday...what would they have done or maybe more importantly, what have they done in the past or what did they do on your most recent birthday that you really appreciated? Give back peoples. Give back and there will be love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment